You are eligible for BJC benefits if you are classified as a full-time working at least 35 hours per week or part-time employee working at least 24 hours per week. You can enroll your dependents in the benefits you elect, including your spouse, children up to age 26, and a disabled child of any age. For eligibility details, please see our Plan Information page. BJC uses a dependent verification administrator that will contact you if enrolling a new dependent or a dependent not previously verified as eligible by BJC. You will need to provide documentation in a timely manner verifying their eligibility for coverage.
Making changes during the year
Once enrolled, you can only make mid-year changes to your benefits during the plan year within 31 days of a change in life status (qualified life event). The changes you are eligible to make mid-year depend on the type of life-status change you have experienced. If you don’t enroll within 31 days of your life event, you will not be able to make changes to benefits coverage until the next annual enrollment period.
Qualified life events include:
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth, adoption or the placement of a child for adoption (allowed a 60-day enrollment period)
- A change in employment status for you or your spouse
- Dependents losing or gaining eligibility for certain types of coverage
- Death of a dependent
- You or your spouse enroll in Medicare or Medicaid
Coverage start date
New employees or newly-benefits-eligible employees have 31 days from their hire date or eligibility date to enroll in benefits. In general, benefits coverage for team members and eligible dependents will begin on the first day of the month after hire date, provided you complete the online enrollment within 31 days of your hire date. For more benefits details, see the 2024 Benefits Guide.
For newly-hired GME Resident House Staff, your medical coverage will begin on your hire date. All other coverage will begin on the first day of the month after hire date, provided you complete your online enrollment within 31 days of your hire date.
For qualified life event changes, coverage will be effective on the first day of the month after the life event, except for the birth, adoption or placement of a child for adoption, which will be effective on the date of the event.
For job status changes, coverage will be effective on the first day of the month following the change in status.
To enroll in benefits due to a life event or job status change:
- Select the myBJCnet tab on the BJCnet home page or go to https://myBJCnet.carenet.org.
- Log on using your BJC network ID and password.
- On the myBJCnet landing page, select myBenefits.
- When you experience a change in job status, select Enroll in Benefits.
- When you experience a life event, select Enroll Due to Life Event.
- Follow the instructions. When finished electing your benefits, be sure to Submit your elections and choose Generate Benefits Confirmation Report.
For complete details about BJC benefits, see our Benefits SPD.