BJC offers two medical options: Choice Plus and Choice. Both are administered by Cigna, allow access to the Cigna Open Access Plus (OAP) Network of preferred providers, and cover the same medical services. Similarities and differences:
- Both medical options include Prescription Drug coverage.
- In general, you will pay more out of your bi-weekly paycheck for Choice Plus, but pay considerably less in out-of-pocket costs for deductibles, copayments and coinsurance for medical services.
- There are three coverage levels within each medical option:
- The BJC Facility Network does not include physicians.
- The Cigna Network includes BJC Medical Group, Memorial Medical Group and Washington University School of Medicine physicians
- See Provider Networks.
- See also Preventive Care; many preventive services are covered at 100 percent (you owe nothing) if received from a BJC facility or Cigna Network OAP provider.
- Under both options, you will pay the least when you use BJC facilities; you will pay the most when you use non-network providers.
- For just a $25 copay, BJC Medical Plan members can access doctors 24/7/365 via secure video chat or phone, without leaving their home or office. Cigna Telehealth includes national telehealth providers AMWell and MDLIVE who will treat you and your dependents for minor, non-life-threatening illnesses. To use the service, plan members must register with one or both: AmWellforCigna.com, 855-667-9722; MDLIVEforCigna.com, 888-726-3171. For more information, click here.
Understanding Benefit Terms
Both medical options, Choice Plus and Choice, cover the same medical services, such as a visit to a primary care physician or specialist, a trip to the emergency room, or outpatient surgery. What is primarily different about the two options is the amount you pay for services, as well as the bi-weekly deductions from your paycheck (contributions), copayments, deductibles and coinsurance. To gain a better understanding, spend some time reviewing this Choice-Choice Plus infographic.
2018 Choice Plus and Choice Employee Contributions for Medical Coverage
For more information, call Cigna toll-free 800.244.6224 or log in to your myCigna account.