BJC provides all regular full-time and part-time employees (who have 24 or more regularly scheduled hours per week) with paid time off for vacation, holiday, and sick time.
PTO Accrual Rates*
- PTO accrual rates are based on length of service and position and is available for use the day after it is accrued.
- PTO accrues on paid hours (and scheduled hours canceled due to low census or lack of work), up to 2,080 hours per benefit year. It does not accrue on hours sold, or short-term disability pay when an employee is on a leave of absence.
- A non-exempt employee may reach their maximum accrued hours for the year prior to the end of their anniversary year.
The table below illustrates the accrual rates based on an 8-hour workday and 2,080 hours per benefit year. These amounts are pro-rated based on hours worked for part-time employees
|Years of Service/Position
||PTO Accrual Rate
|Staff with 4 years or less
Per Hour: 0.0885 Hours
Hours Per Year: 184
Days Per Year: 23
|Staff with 4 years through 9 years
Manager/supervisor with 9 years or less
|Per Hour: 0.1077
Hours Per Year: 224
Days Per Year: 28
|Staff with 9 years through 14 years
||Per Hour: 0.1154
Hours Per Year: 240
Days Per Year: 30
|Staff with 14 years
Manager/supervisor with 9 years
Per Hour: 0.1270
Hours Per Year: 264
Days Per Year: 33
*Directors and above follow a different schedule.
An employee’s accrual rate will change to a higher level on the day they hit their anniversary date. The maximum number of hours employees may accrue and have available in their PTO bank at any given time is 400 hours.
- PTO may be used for any purpose (vacation, personal, holidays, employee, or family illness/injury, etc.). Time off should be scheduled as far in advance as possible in accordance with the department’s guidelines.
- BJC recognizes the following holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- If you are not working a BJC recognized holiday, you must take PTO for your regular scheduled hours that day.
- Employees should confirm with their leader for departmental scheduling guidance.
- An employee may request a PTO sale of eligible PTO hours by making an election during the annual election sale period.
- The PTO sales period is typically the entire month of November but is subject to change.
- When making the sale request, employees must elect the amount of PTO to be sold and the timing of the payment of the proceeds of the PTO sale (payments are made in the following calendar year).
PTO Upon Termination
- PTO balances will be paid to employees with greater than five years of service who voluntarily leave the organization in good standing, or to anyone who exits the organization because of job elimination (regardless of length of service).
- Remaining PTO balances will be paid one paycheck following the final pay period after the termination date to employees eligible for a payout.
- Employees with less than five years of service are not eligible for a PTO payout upon termination except in states that require it.
Benefit Upon Rehire
- Employees rehired within one year of separation from BJC will be treated as if they have not left for purposes of determining the PTO accrual level. Employees rehired after one year of separation are treated as new employees for purposes of PTO accrual.
- More information on PTO can be found in HR Policy 4.01 on the HR Hub.
You may receive pay when you miss work due to the loss of a loved one. For more information, see HR Policy 4.04 Bereavement, posted on the HR Hub.
You are paid for missed work time for jury duty. For more information, see HR Policy 4.05 Time Off for Jury Duty, posted on the HR Hub.