Our team members’ financial health is very important to us. That’s why we offer a 100 percent paid pension plan or a 403(b) offering (for those hospitals and health service organizations that do not offer the BJC Pension Plan). The longer your service with BJC, the more you will benefit from your pension or 403(b) when you retire. BJC also offers a 401(k) and a Roth 401(k), both with numerous investment options through Vanguard.
Retirement education opportunities for BJC team members:
- Check out Enrich® , a financial wellness experience unlike any other, available free to all BJC team members. Enrich® combines financial coaching services with an online learning technology to deliver financial education customized to fit your personal needs and goals. Visit BJC.Enrich.org to get started.
- BJC team members can also take advantage of BJC's Financial Education Series webinars, designed to give you more confidence when making important financial decisions. These webinars are held quarterly and are free.
- BJC team members nearing retirement have the option to attend BJC's Retirement Planning Sessions, designed to help you better understand your retirement benefits. Spouses or significant others are also invited to attend.
401(k) and 403(b) Plans
The sooner you start saving, the better your financial future will be. BJC HealthCare offers several retirement plan options. Your eligibility is dependent on which hospital or health service organization you work for within BJC. Options include 401(k) or 403(b) defined contribution offerings administered by Vanguard.
NEW RETIREMENT PLAN RULES DUE TO COVID-19
Learn more about new retirement plan rules that allow for special withdrawals in 2020 and relief for paying back retirement plan loans for qualified individuals affected by the coronavirus, along with waived required minimum distributions.
BJC 401(k) Plan
Features of the BJC 401(k) Plan:
- The contributions you select are automatically deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis
- Effective October 16, BJC is resuming its matching contribution program, which matches up to a maximum of 1.75% on employee pre-tax contributions of 4% or higher
- ROTH 401(k) option: contribute to your retirement account on an after-tax basis - Learn more
- Investment choices include Target Date funds that automatically adjust your investments as you get older
- You can rollover money from a prior employer's eligible retirement plan
- You can contribute a maximum of $19,500 in 2020
- If you are 50 or older, additional catch-up contributions of $6,500 are permitted for a maximum contribution of $26,000 in 2020
- You can change your contribution percentage at any time
- You can set an automatic annual increase to your 401(k) contributions - Learn more
BJC uses automatic enrollment in the BJC 401(k) Plan. New hires are automatically enrolled with a 4 percent contribution rate, unless they take action to reduce, or increase this contribution, or opt out.
If you are not currently enrolled, you have three different ways to enroll:
- Enroll on the Vanguard website. You will be prompted on how to enroll in the plan. You will need your Social Security Number, ZIP code, date of birth, and the unique number assigned to the plan by Vanguard, 093371.
- Call Vanguard’s 24-hour automated VOICE Network toll-free 800.523.1188. You will need your Social Security Number and a personal identification number (PIN). Please contact Vanguard to have one mailed to you.
- Speak with a Vanguard Participant Services Associate at 800.523.1188, 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday.
BJC 403(b) Plan
The BJC 403(b) Plan is a defined contribution plan and is in place to provide an additional retirement offering for our Parkland Health Center, Alton Memorial Hospital and Memorial Hospital employees. Because these employees are not eligible for BJC's pension, this plan provides an annual contribution of 4 percent of eligible earnings to all eligible employees. This plan is designed to supplement the personal investments made by employees in the 401(k) plan (along with the BJC match at eligible locations) to better support retirement goals. This plan is also administered by Vanguard and enrollment is automatic.
BJC Pension Plan
Pension plans are a lifetime benefit to employees. The longer you give your service to BJC, the more you will benefit from your pension when you retire. Not all BJC hospitals and health service organizations participate in the BJC Pension Plan. BJC hospital and health service organizations that do not offer the BJC Pension Plan, provide a 403(b) retirement offering.
Pension Plan Overview
- Provides you with a monthly income for life during your retirement years, and is 100 percent funded by BJC; there are no employee contributions to this plan
- Where offered, it is generally available to all employees working 20 hours or more per week
- Your retirement benefit builds up or accrues as your years of employment with BJC increase
In general, eligible employees automatically become a plan participant on the January 1 or July 1 following the date they:
- Are employed one year
- Are 21 years of age or older
- Have worked at least 1,000 hours in a 12-month period
For more details on participation, see the BJC Pension Plan Summary Plan Description.
Being vested in the plan means you have a right to benefits from the plan even if you leave the company before you reach retirement age. You earn one year of vesting service for each plan year (W-2 year) in which you are credited for at least 1,000 hours. You need five separate plan years in which you have been credited with 1,000 or more hours in each year in order to be vested.
For more details on the BJC Pension Plan, see the Summary Plan Description.
Financial Education Series
This webinar-based series will help you feel confident about making important financial decisions related to:
- Your track to retirement
- Key retirement milestones
- Reducing debt and saving more
- Creating your retirement plan
BJC HealthCare partners with Vanguard, our 401(k) and 403(b) plan administrator, to bring you a free, webinar-based education series aimed at strengthening your financial health. The webinars are accessible from any location, using a computer, tablet or smartphone.
2020 schedule here
Retirement Planning Sessions
BJC Retirement Planning Sessions (RPS) are designed to help you better understand your retirement benefits. Team members who will be 55 or older in 2020 are invited to register and attend, along with their spouse or significant other.
BJC Retirement Planning Sessions are hosted by the BJC retirement team and partners from:
- Vanguard: BJC’s 401(k) and 403(b) plan administrator
- The Social Security Administration
2020 schedule here