BJC Total Rewards provides support to those who need to take extended time away from work to attend to important medical and family issues. Included is the provision of both short-term and long-term disability benefits to eligible employees, to help replace some of the income they will lose while disabled.
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Family and Medical Leave of Absence
BJC's Family and Medical Leave of Absence policy is administered in accordance with the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which ensures job-protected leave for qualified family and medical reasons. BJC's FMLA policy provides employees with information related to their rights, responsibilities and eligibility for FMLA leaves.
BJC's FMLA policy provides:
- Up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave during a 12-month period
- Up to 26 weeks of military caregiver leave to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness during a 12-month period
- Requires a minimum of 12 months of service with BJC within a 7-year period, and
- Worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period prior to the commencement of the leave. Time spent on PTO or any other leave of absence is not counted toward hours worked.
Types of FMLA
- Birth of a child
- Placement of a child (through adoption or foster care)
- Employee's own serious health condition
- Serious health condition of employee’s immediate family member
- Qualifying exigency leave
- Illness or injury of a family member in the Armed Forces (Military Caregiver Leave)
For more detailed information on BJC's FMLA policy go to myBJCnet, log in, select the ourPolicies tile and select "Benefits".
Other Leaves of Absence
In addition to providing leave for FMLA and disability benefits, BJC also grants a leave of absence for:
- Bereavement leave
- Donor leave of absence (for organ, tissue and bone marrow)
- Military leave
- Personal family and personal medical leave (that may not be covered by FMLA)
- Time off for jury duty
- Time off for voting and poll worker service
Reporting a Leave of Absence
To request a Leave of Absence and/or file a STD or LTD claim, contact the BJC Leave Management Center toll-free 800.213.1580 (24/7/365) or go to the mylibertyconnection.com website. First time visitors will need to register with the company code: BJC10128.
For details, see Reporting Your Disability Claim/Leave.
Note: BJC employees need to follow their department's call-in procedures whenever they are absent from work. In addition, those on intermittent leave of absence must call within three (3) days of each intermittent absence.