BJC provides eligible team members the ability to take a job protected leave of absence for their own medical needs, to provide care for eligible family members, or other reasons. BJC also offers short-term (STD) and long-term disability (LTD) coverage for eligible full-time and part-time team members. To learn more, visit our Disability page.
There are several leave of absence types available to team members. Each have a separate set of eligibility requirements. Lincoln Financial Group (LFG), BJC’s Leave Administrator, will help determine what leave you may qualify for. In general, leave types include:
- Federal/State job protection:
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) – your own medical condition or to provide care of an eligible family member
- Leave as an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – leave is granted at the discretion of your HSO for your own medical condition if you are not eligible for FMLA or a Personal Medical Leave.
- BJC policy leaves
- Personal Medical Leave (PML) – your own medical condition
- Personal Family Medical (PFM) – to provide care for an eligible family member
- Parental Leave – to bond with a newborn child or newly adopted child
Family and Medical Leave of Absence
FMLA provides for leave up to:
- Twelve (12) weeks for your own medical condition or to provide care for an eligible family member.
- Twenty-six (26) weeks of military caregiver leave to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness.
To be eligible for FMLA, a team member must have:
- Been employed for at least twelve (12) months within a seven (7) year period; and
- Worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period prior to the start of the leave.
The main reasons for an FMLA leave include:
- Team member’s own health condition
- Birth or placement of a child
- Serious health condition of team member’s immediate family member
- When a team member's spouse, son, daughter, or parent who is a member of the Armed Forces has been notified of an impending call or order to covered active duty
- Illness or injury of a family member in the Armed Forces
For more detailed information on BJC's FMLA policy visit the HR Hub, log in, select "Find Answers", then select "Policies" in the left navigation bar.
Other Leaves of Absence
If you need a leave of absence and you are not eligible for an FMLA leave, BJC has other leaves you may be eligible for. Lincoln Financial Group will help determine what leave you may qualify for:
- Bereavement leave
- Donor leave of absence (for organ, tissue and bone marrow)
- Military leave
- Personal family and personal medical leave (that may not be covered by FMLA)
- Time off for jury duty
- Time off for voting and poll worker service
Reporting a Leave of Absence/Return to Work
To request a leave of absence with Lincoln Financial Group (LFG), BJC's Leave Administrator, you may do so online at MyLincolnPortal.com or by phone 800.213.1580 24/7/365. You will need BJC company code BJC10128 to file your request. For details, see Reporting Your Disability Claim/Leave. Before returning to work, see Return to Work Instructions.