The sooner you start saving, the better off your financial future will be. BJC HealthCare offers several retirement plans. Your eligibility is dependent on which hospital or health service organization you work for within BJC. Options include 401(k) or 403(b) defined contribution offerings administered by Vanguard and the defined benefit Pension Plan administered by Aon Hewitt. Review important changes to BJC's 401(k) and 403(b) plans here.
BJC 401(k) Plan
BJC HealthCare encourages you to invest in your future using the BJC 401(k) Plan.
- Contributions are automatically deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis
- BJC makes matching contributions of up to 1.75 percent; to receive the full match, you must contribute at least 4 percent (Not all BJC hospitals and health service organizations are eligible for employer matching contributions.)
- While we have a range of investment choices that you can tailor to your needs, we also have Target Date funds that automatically adjust your investments as you get older
- You can rollover money from a prior employer's eligible retirement plan
- You can make additional contributions if you are 50 or older
- You can change your contribution percentage at any time to fit your particular circumstances
As of January 1, 2015, all BJC hospitals and other health care entities affiliated with BJC have adopted the plan and are participating employers
PRN and part-time employees are also eligible to participate in the BJC 401(K) Plan. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, contact the BJC employee retirement benefits office 314.362.0551.
If you were hired on or after February 1, 2015, you were automatically enrolled in the BJC 401(k) Plan, and will be set up to contribute 4 percent of your eligible earnings to the plan unless you take action to reduce or increase this contribution, or to opt out. (Auto enrollment does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Memorial Hospital Medical Group employees who joined BJC prior to Jan.1, 2017.)
If you are not currently enrolled, you have three different ways to enroll:
- Online: Enroll on the Vanguard website. You will be prompted on how to enroll in the plan. You will need your Social Security Number, ZIP code, date of birth, and the unique number assigned to the plan by Vanguard, 093371.
- VOICE Network: Call Vanguard’s 24-hour automated VOICE Network toll-free 800.523.1188. To enroll through VOICE, you will need your Social Security Number and a personal identification number (PIN). Please contact Vanguard to have one mailed you.
- Speak to an Associate: Speak with a Vanguard Participant Services Associate toll-free 800.523.1188, 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Please note: The Vanguard 401(k) and 403(b) update home-mailer in March incorrectly identified the new fund offering as Vanguard Developed Markets Index Fund Institutional Shares. The correct new fund is the Vanguard Developed Markets Index Fund Admiral Shares.
When you contribute at least 4 percent of your eligible earnings, BJC will contribute an amount equal to 1.75 percent of your eligible earnings. Taking advantage of this incentive to save can help you move closer to your retirement goals. (Not all BJC hospitals and health service organizations are eligible for employer matching contributions.)
For example, if you earn $50,000 and contribute 4 percent of your pay throughout the year, you will contribute at total of $2,000 and BJC will contribute a total of $875. That’s a total annual contribution of $2,875.
BJC 401(k) Plan Videos
Select a question to view the video answer. Videos are approximately three and a half minutes or less.