For health care professionals who care for others, it’s common to push aside our own health needs. So in 2003, BJC created “Help for Your Health,” a set of programs and educational initiatives to help employees better understand, manage and improve their personal health.
Through employee health campaigns, educational resources, partnerships and BJC employee health plan offerings, Help for Your Health directs attention to five key indicators of health:
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar
- Body mass index
- Tobacco risks
Learn more about Help for Your Health initiatives at BJC:
Annual health screenings -- BJC offers free on-site employee health screenings each year. These screenings include checks of blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and body mass index along with information on tobacco risks and cessation programs, stress relief and a range of other health topics. Check our 2017 calendar to find a health screening event at your location.
Ask the Experts -- Do you ever have a health-related question but aren’t sure who to ask? Go online and “Ask the Expert” at BJC. Find a knowledgeable resource who can answer your questions about medications, diabetes, exercise and healthy eating. You can also browse a library of previous Q&As. Meet the experts here.
BJC Cooks! -- BJC Help for your Health and Morrison Healthcare have teamed up to create a series of quick-view videos sharing healthy recipes. Check out our growing library of recipes.
Employee health campaigns -- Take part in health quizzes and challenges to be eligible for prize drawings. Employee health campaigns help you learn more about breast, colon and prostate health, increase your awareness of stroke risks and provide incentives to keep active during the busy holiday season with the “12 Days of Fitness.” Watch BJC Today, BJCnet and your local employee newsletter for details throughout the year.
Health Hall of Fame -- Nominate a co-worker for the annual BJC Health Hall of Fame here. Employees are recognized for outstanding health achievements, inspirational medical recoveries and community health leadership. Winners are honored on the field at a St. Louis Cardinals game each year. Learn about past winners here.
Morrison partnership -- BJC’s food service partner, Morrison Health, contributes to Help for Your Health by creating a selection of healthy items on daily cafeteria menus. Morrison makes educated food choices easier with line item identifiers that show the nutrition content of every food choice. Morrison dietitians staff tables each month to highlight healthy featured foods and recipes. Find more information in your local café and check out fun “Food Fights” here.
Health Management Programs
- Gym and fitness center discounts -- Find membership discounts to gyms and fitness centers through the BJC Employee Discount Program via the YouDecide website
- Tobacco cessation -- Kick the tobacco habit with Quit For Life, offered free of charge to BJC Medical Plan participants
- Health management -- BJC offers a number of programs to assist you with managing your weight and improving your health:
- Omada -- A pre-diabetic, health-management program for qualified BJC Medical Plan participants
- Livongo for Diabetes Program -- A program for diabetics that combines advanced technology with around-the-clock support to make living with diabetes easier than before
- HealthyWage -- a 12-week, team-weight-loss challenge that offers BJC employees an opportunity to compete for more than $18,000 in prize money
- Weight Watchers’ proven approach to weight loss
- Nutrition Counseling Services
WellAware --- Employee fitness centers are available on site at the Barnes-Jewish Hospital campus in St. Louis and at Boone Hospital Center in Columbia, Missouri. Learn about membership benefits at BJC WellAware St. Louis and WellAware Columbia.
You can also get WellAware video wellness tips or worksite recess exercises to do at your desk, along with Fitness Flash columns featuring advice from WellAware staff.