For health care professionals who care for others, it’s common to push aside our own health needs. So in 2003, BJC created “Help for Your Health,” a set of programs and educational initiatives to help employees better understand, manage and improve their personal health.
Through employee health campaigns, educational resources, partnerships and BJC employee health plan offerings, Help for Your Health directs attention to five key indicators of health:
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar
- Body mass index
- Tobacco use
Learn more about Help for Your Health initiatives at BJC:
Annual Health Screenings -- BJC offers employees free on-site health screenings each year. These screenings include checks of blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and body mass index (weight and height measurements) along with information on tobacco risks and cessation programs, stress relief and a range of other health topics. Check this calendar to find a health screening event at your location. Also, see how you can benefit from an annual health screening in earning an Annual Wellness Incentive.
Ask the Experts -- Do you ever have a health-related question but aren’t sure who to ask? Go online and “Ask the Expert” at BJC. Find a knowledgeable resource who can answer your questions about medications, diabetes, exercise and healthy eating. You can also browse a library of previous Q&As. Meet the experts here.
BJC Cooks! -- BJC Help for your Health and Morrison Healthcare have teamed up to create a series of quick-view videos sharing healthy recipes. Check out our growing library of recipes.
Employee Health Campaigns -- Take part in health quizzes and challenges to be eligible for prize drawings. Employee health campaigns help you learn more about breast, colon and prostate health, increase your awareness of stroke risks and provide incentives to keep active during the busy holiday season with the “12 Days of Fitness.” Watch BJC Today, BJCnet and your local employee newsletter for details throughout the year.
Health Hall of Fame -- Nominate a co-worker for the annual BJC Health Hall of Fame here. Employees are recognized for outstanding health achievements, inspirational medical recoveries and community health leadership. Winners are honored on the field at a St. Louis Cardinals game each year. Learn about past winners here.
Morrison Partnership -- BJC’s food service partner, Morrison Health, contributes to Help for Your Health by creating a selection of healthy items on daily cafeteria menus. Morrison makes educated food choices easier with line item identifiers that show the nutrition content of every food choice. Morrison dietitians staff tables each month to highlight healthy featured foods and recipes. Find more information in your local café and check out fun “Food Fights” here.
BJC Med Talks – Modeled after TED Talks – short, informative talks on a wide range of topics – BJC Med Talks introduces health professionals, doctors, community leaders and patients who have an important message to share. Check out BJC Med Talks here.
Health Management -- BJC offers a number of programs to assist you with managing your weight and improving your health:
- Tobacco cessation -- Kick the tobacco habit with Quit For Life, offered free of charge to BJC Medical Plan participants.
- Omada -- A pre-diabetic, health-management program for qualified BJC Medical Plan participants.
- Livongo for Diabetes Program -- A program for diabetics that combines advanced technology with around-the-clock support to make living with diabetes easier than before.
- Weight Watchers’ -- BJC employees get a great deal on this proven approach to weight loss.
- Resiliency -- the ability to adapt and thrive in the face of adversity and stress. It allow us to bounce back from difficult circumstances. All BJC employees are encouraged to visit the BJC Resiliency website for more information and to sign up for Resiliency training.
- Nutrition Counseling Services -- BJC employees are covered 100 percent up to $1,000 per calendar year under the BJC Medical Plan if received by a provider in the BJC Facility Network or Cigna OAP Network.
WellAware and BJC Fitness Centers -- Employee fitness centers are available at the Barnes-Jewish Hospital campus in St. Louis, Boone Hospital Center in Columbia, Memorial Belleville and Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital. Learn more about membership benefits at:
Gym and Fitness Center Discounts -- Find membership discounts to gyms and fitness centers through the BJC Employee Discount Program via the YouDecide website.
You can also get WellAware video wellness tips or worksite recess exercises to do at your desk, along with Fitness Flash columns featuring advice from WellAware staff.