Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) reduce your taxable income by allowing you to set aside pre-tax dollars to use toward eligible health care and dependent day care expenses throughout the year. You do not have to be a member of the BJC medical, dental of vision plan to enroll in an FSA.
BJC offers you two types of flexible spending accounts, both administered by Discovery Benefits.
Health Care FSA
- Reimbursement of eligible health care expenses for you and your dependents
- Elect up to $2,650 for 2019
- Qualified expenses include medical, dental, vision, hearing and other health-related costs, such as copayments and deductibles; some over-the-counter drugs and supplies are eligible
- Carry over up to $500 of unused funds to the next year (with year-end balance of $50 or more), provided you enroll in a Health Care FSA for 2019
Dependent Care FSA
- Reimbursement of eligible day care expenses for children under age 13
- Reimbursement for eligible elder care expenses
- Elect up to $5,000 each year (combined household limit)
- To be eligible for this account, you must be working. If you are married, your spouse must be working, looking for work, be a full-time student, or be incapable of self-care.
- Qualified expenses include before-and-after school programs, nursery or preschool, summer day camp, and adult care
- No carry over; “use it or lose it” rule applies
Both Health Care and Dependent Care FSA
- Use the convenient Discovery FSA card to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses
- In addition to your FSA card, you have the option to pay with personal funds and request reimbursement
- Claims submission via web, mobile app, fax or US mail
- Deadline to submit claims is March 31 of the following year
Speak to or live chat with a Discovery Benefits service representative 866.451.3399, 6 a.m.-9 p.m. (CST) Monday-Friday.
Manage Your FSA
Manage your FSA from the Discovery Benefits website at discoverybenefits.com. There you can view a complete list of eligible expenses , check your balance, file claims, request direct deposit and more.