Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) reduce your taxable income by allowing you to set aside pre-tax dollars to use toward eligible health care and dependent day care expenses throughout the year. Please know that you do not have to be a member of the BJC medical, dental of vision plan to enroll in an FSA.
BJC offers you two types of flexible spending accounts, both administered by Discovery Benefits.
Health Care FSA
- Reimbursement of eligible health care expenses for you and your dependents
- Set aside up to $2,650 for 2018
- Qualified expenses include medical, dental, vision, hearing and other costs, such as copayments and deductibles; some over-the-counter drugs and supplies are eligible
- Carry over up to $500 of unused funds to the next year (with year-end balance of $50 or more), provided you enroll in a Health Care FSA for the following year
Dependent Care FSA
- Reimbursement of eligible day care expenses for children under 13
- Reimbursement for eligible elder care expenses
- To receive reimbursement, you must be working; if you are married, your spouse must either be working, looking for work, be a full-time student, or be incapable of self care
- Set aside up to $5,000 each year (combined household limit)
- Convenient "Recurring Dependent Care Reimbursement" form provides continuous reimbursement during the year without having to file repetitive claims.
- Qualified expenses include before-and-after school programs, nursery or preschool, summer day camp, and adult care
- No carry over; “use it or lose it” rule applies
Both Health Care and Dependent Day Care FSA
- Use the convenient Discovery FSA card to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses
- Submit claims via web, fax or U.S. mail
- Direct deposit -- claims reimbursed within 72 hours
- Mobile app for smartphones -- access your account wherever you go
- Particiants have until March 31 of the following year to submit claims for reimbursement
For a complete list of eligible expenses, go to the Discovery website.
Discovery FSA Card
The Discovery FSA Card is similar to a debit card since it electronically accesses your Health Care and Dependent Day Care FSA account when used to pay for eligible expenses. It’s a convenient way to pay for health care and dependent day care purchases.
Have questions about FSAs or the Discovery FSA Card? Call toll-free 866.451.3399, 6 a.m.-9 p.m. (CST) Monday-Friday or email customer service.
This video walks you through the tax-saving benefits of Health Care and Dependent Day Care FSAs. Learn how to save approximately 20-30 percent in taxes by using pre-tax money you set aside to pay for eligible health care and dependent day care expenses.